10 BEST CITIES FOR BIKE TOURS IN THE USA
With summer right around the corner, all I want to do is get outside and adventure! I’m rounding up the top 10 cities for bike tours and why biking should be on the top of your activity list while traveling.
- Palm Springs. This is your town for sunshine, warmth, and beautiful mid-century modern architecture! You have access to city and desert, providing a beautiful view for a scenic bike ride. Whether you’re a beginner or seasoned biker, this will one of your favorite activities while visiting. Grab an electric or tandem bike from BIKE and enjoy the mountain view and gorgeous weather Palm Springs has to offer! You can choose to have a guided tour or go off on your own adventure.
- Charleston. If you’re visiting Charleston, the best way to see the city is by bike. There is a beautiful route that provides 32 miles of scenery and takes you all the way from 3 beaches to downtown Charleston. It will take about 2 hours but you won’t want to miss this activity! You can see more about Charleston biking trails here.
- Scottsdale. Scottsdale is filled to the brim with palm trees, sunshine, cacti, and poolside days (my favorite). You can rent a bike with Limebike (very affordable!) and explore old-town Scottsdale or go into the mountains.
- Austin. This city is always buzzing. Whether you want a busy day in the city or an easy-going day visiting delicious eateries, you’ll find it all in Austin! This city is long associated with Lance Armstrong and because of this, there are some beautiful routes downtown (dedicated to bikers), along the river, or you can hit the mountains. If you’re hungry, there are countless restaurants and coffee shops where you can park your bike and take a break! Everything you need to know about biking Austin can be found in this guide.
- Nashville. This lively city offers some of the best restaurants, coffee shops, and fun activities. It has over 100 parks and you can access them easily by biking! I recommend checking out Green Fleet tours to learn and see all about Nashville.
- Santa Monica. If you’re looking for a charming beach city close to L.A., Santa Monica is calling your name. This city is full of shopping, restaurants, and the strong possibility of seeing someone famous. Explore Santa Monica and all it has to offer by bike. Book a bike tour along Venice beach for a beautiful, fun-filled day.
- Portland. Portland is an up-and-coming city that has so much to see! You’re close to the coast and the mountains and you have access to some pretty delicious eateries. There are beautiful parks all over this city. Check out Pedal Bike Tours for a few different bike tour options, including a brewery bike tour!
- San Diego. San Diego offers sunshine, beaches, and some delicious Mexican food. There is hardly a day without sun and you won’t want to miss visiting this city and all its activities! Find casual, mountain, or road biking trails for SD here.
- DC. If you are on the hunt for delicious food, beautiful nature, and amazing art, you’ll find it in our nation’s capitol. This city’s attractions are incredibly walkable/bikable and because of this, you’re able to explore the city easily. Book a monuments bike tour to see all the sights!
- Boston. Boston is one of the most historic cities in the U.S. and has more than enough fun activities to do and explore. It’s not a large city like New York and doesn’t feel like it either thanks to the architecture and large parks, but you have all the benefits of one! Get a feel for all the neighborhoods and see the major sights with City View Bike Tours.
That’s my top 10 list, but I’m sure there are other cities I’m not thinking of that are great for bike tours! Any other suggestions for your favorite cities to do bike tours in the USA?
Looking for more travel inspiration? Be sure to check out my travel page where you can see a map of everywhere I’ve been in the world and all my travel guides!
Elise Armitage is an entrepreneur and founder of What The Fab, a travel + lifestyle blog based in California. At the beginning of 2019, Elise left her corporate job at Google to chase her dreams: being an entrepreneur and helping women find fabulous in the everyday. Since then, she’s launched her SEO course Six-Figure SEO, where she teaches bloggers how to create a passive revenue stream from their website using SEO. Featured in publications like Forbes, Elle, HerMoney, and Real Simple, Elise is a firm believer that you can be of both substance and style.