It’s finally summer! And some of us are more excited about the opportunity to wear skimpy outfits than others. If you’re feeling like you missed the boat on getting into bikini shape, but are also strapped for cash and don’t want to pay an expensive gym membership, fear not! Here’s how to get that great workout without a gym membership.
1. Get some home workout videos. The possibilities are endless here–kick boxing, yoga, pilates, barre method, p90x, zumba–whatever tickles your fancy. Get a group of friends together and have everyone buy one or two workout DVDs. Then you can all trade each month to keep your workouts fresh.
2. Go on a hike. Burn extra cals by conquering some big hills.
3. Keep an eye out on all the deal sites. Groupon, LivingSocial, Bloomspot, Google Offers, and Yelp all have deals on bootcamp, pilates classes, etc. I love grabbing these random deals because it’s cheap and it switches up my workout routine.
4. Scour YouTube. Tons of trainers post their workouts for free. I’m obsessed with Cassey Ho’s Pop Pilates. Her pilates vids are ridic.
5. Collect workout moves from your magazines. Cosmo and Women’s Health always have some new ones in each issue. I like to cut them out and toss them in a folder. When I feel like mixing up my workout, I grab a bunch at random.
6. Explore on a run. Just don’t get lost. Since I live in SF, there are so many little neighborhoods and streets to explore. I’ll run in a new direction and just see what I can see. Spotting new restaurants you want to try or boutiques you want to stop in later helps take your mind off the fact that you’re running.
7. Do gym “trials.” Many gyms will offer a free week of gym membership and classes so you can try out their location. Give your local gyms a call or check online to see if they do this kind of promo.
8. If you have a friend that has a gym membership, some gyms (like 24 Hour Fitness) will give their members’ friends a free week pass. And then you get to work out with a buddy, which is always more fun.
9. Pin that shizz. Get a Pinterest account and create a fitness board to help you keep track of all the great, free workouts available online. Here’s my fitness board to get you started! And here’s my motivation board. I like to pin anything that’ll help me get my booty out of bed for my 6am workouts.
10. Find free, customizable workout programs online. Or find workout programs that have a free month trial, like this Women’s Health online personal trainer program.